Do you aspire to be a global leader and make a difference?
The strategy and business development (SBD) program within Cargill is one of the most exciting post-graduate leadership development opportunities available. You will gain solid experience in strategy as well as corporate development – from evaluating potential acquisitions to negotiating and structuring deals. You will have the opportunity not only to advise, but also to help the business implement your recommendations – whether you are leading an integration team or a profit improvement workshop at a plant. You will sit at the table and help the top leadership of one of the largest privately held companies in the U.S. solve their toughest strategic questions. You will think about how to manage the risks and leverage the opportunities presented by the biggest global issues facing the world today – from food security, resource scarcity, and climate change to global trade flows and new technologies. You will grow as a leader – a leader with integrity, conviction and courage – and shape the future of our business.
Commercial & Trading Manager: Margo
Work Experience: 8 years
“The work each of us does everyday supports the nourishment of people worldwide…knowing that I have a part in that is both humbling and invigorating.” Read more
Strategy & Business Development Associate: Vivek
Work Experience: 8 years
"I joined Cargill because I have always wanted to be part of an organization that contributes towards solving global issues such as food security, food safety, price volatility, supply chain viability and sustainability.” Read more
Working in Cargill’s SBD program
Strategy and business development professionals work throughout Cargill's international businesses – in over 60 countries and nearly 70 businesses. As a part of the program, you will be based in one of SBD’s four offices in Minneapolis, Brussels, Singapore and Shanghai.
SBD is a stimulating learning environment and helps you chart your own path to a rewarding and successful career with Cargill. On projects, you will be challenged and supported by your team, working with diverse and exceptionally smart individuals. You will be part of and can tap into a strong network of SBD alumni throughout the organization. You will find mentors among Cargill’s top leadership, who are incredibly accessible and open. You will learn and grow, building the knowledge, skillset and human capital to become a global leader and make a difference.
The focus of the strategy and business development program is three-fold:
- Strategy development: Corporate strategy, business unit strategy, corporate center process management, customer solutions and marketing, and supply chain
- Business development: Mergers and acquisitions, integration program management, joint ventures and alliances, new business development
- Capability building: Talent development, disseminating strategic thinking and business development skills, and innovation
At Cargill, no career path is the same. The strategy and business development program allows you to gain a unique perspective of Cargill and deep-dive into a variety of businesses – from food and agriculture to energy and financial services. It is a unique opportunity to build a broad, yet solid foundation and discover where you passion lies. Do you like to build new businesses around cutting-edge, innovative products developed in one of Cargill’s research facilities? Or do you seek opportunities to optimize a mature business? Or do you like to help global customers grow in emerging markets by building a secure supply infrastructure? Mentors in and outside SBD are there to help guide you and get you prepared for a successful career with Cargill. Your career path in the strategy and business development program usually leads from Associate to Project Team Leader, after which you will place into a frontline leadership role in one of Cargill’s businesses.
- Associate – 18-24 months: Consult, advise, evaluate, negotiate and explore while teaming with senior Cargill executives on a variety of strategy, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and new business projects. As you gain experience and develop your leadership capabilities, you will become eligible for promotion to Project Team Leader within SBD or to place into a frontline role within one of Cargill’s business units.
- Project Team Leader – 12-24 months: Lead and coach high-performance project teams, hone advanced strategy and general management skills, while developing a worldwide network of personal and professional contacts — a unique opportunity for individuals with the track record and interest.
- Frontline Business Leadership: Your chance to become a leader and build one of Cargill's many businesses — or start a new one — anywhere in the world. Your role could be with a commercial, business development, marketing, trading, finance, operational or functional management focus. Where you go depends on your interest and the kind of leader you want to be.
Is Cargill’s SBD program for you?
We are looking for leaders who want to build businesses. People with integrity, conviction and courage. We are looking for leadership potential and the ability to succeed both as an internal consultant in the strategy and business development program and as a general manager in one of Cargill’s businesses. While there is not one mold, we look for certain traits:
- Curiosity. Do you have an innate curiosity, wondering why things happen the way they do? Do you have a passion to learn more than taught? At Cargill, you may one day have a technical discussion about the enzymatic structure and nutritional profile of a grain and the next day discuss possible scenarios of what could happen to the feed market as Russia enters the World Trade Organization. We look for adaptable, nimble minds and an intense desire to explore, discover and create.
- Problem solving. We deal with ambiguity every day. In fact, Cargill’s strength is finding the opportunities and managing the risks in the sometimes volatile markets we operate in. We are looking for people who thrive in complex and ambiguous environments and can find a path to a practical solution. Do you enjoy tackling tough strategic problems? Do you recognize patterns and trends, and enjoy translating your findings into compelling recommendations? Do you have a knack for financial modeling and finding financing and deal structure solutions? We look for people who are passionate problem solvers in our strategy and M&A projects.
- Impact. Do you have relentless determination and are motivated for high performance and excellence? We are looking for a track record of success and growth. Do you inspire and engage others to achieve more than they thought possible? Do enjoy working in and building engaged, enthusiastic teams? We are looking for people who can manage projects for results, demonstrating decisiveness and sound judgment. People who enjoy coaching others and helping them pursue their development. We seek both strategic and people leadership qualities in our people.
- Moral courage. We believe that doing the right thing sets the foundation for long-term success. Cargill operates in complex and challenging environments, and we are looking for grounded leaders who hold themselves and others accountable. We are committed to our guiding principles, compelling us to always conduct our business ethically – no exceptions. We look for people who demonstrate the respect, candor and commitment to speak up and do the right thing. People who are not afraid to challenge, innovate, change, and do things that are unusual or difficult. People who question assumptions, practices and ways of operating, transforming conflict into opportunities and generating ideas and solutions that create value.
- Global leadership. Cargill operates globally and our teams are diverse – in backgrounds, perspectives and identities. We are looking for leaders who leverage diversity to create an environment that fosters opportunity for everyone. We are also looking for strategic leaders who combine deep and practical business acumen with a grasp of macro economics and political trends. People who have an interest in our markets – agriculture, food, energy, industrial and financial, and who seek to develop and leverage deep customer knowledge and insights. What is your vision?
Cargill’s strategy and business development program is known for its rigorous training in strategy consulting and M&A advisory, combined with a culture that is inclusive, global, yet rooted in solid values. Do you want to be rewarded with an experience that prepares you to be among the best strategic business leaders in the world? If you have an MBA degree or are currently in an MBA program, we invite you to apply.