Join our Talent Community
Interested in working at Cargill but don’t see a job that matches your skills? Join our Talent Community and you could be contacted about future job openings and receive latest news from Cargill.
API EngineerApply Now
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Position Purpose & Summary The Cargill Agricultural Supply Chain (CASC) enterprise has embarked on an ambitious journey of creating and maturing a data platform for all enterprise data and henceforth consolidate and streamline the reporting and analytics usage across the enterprise. In this role, the API Engineer is responsible for design, build and operations of high performance, data centric solutions utilizing the comprehensive big data capabilities of Cargill’s data platform environment. Primary work specifics will focus on building and maintaining APIs that enable authorized internal and external data consumers to access data contained within the Cargill Data Platform through other systems. This position will partner closely with other members of the Cargill Data Platform team to bring Data and Analytics products and solutions to Cargill’s businesses, business partners, and customers. Keys to the success of this position is agile courageous & innovative approach to problem solving, deep engineering expertise, collaboration, flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail. To be successful, the candidate must demonstrated a passion for new and evolving technologies and be willing to push their application throughout the organization
Solution Analysis and Design:
* Work with businesses, application and process owners, and product team members to design solutions for Cargill’s API solutions in line with requirements * Assist in the decision-making process related to architecting solutions * Design API proxies and service components based on the domain model * Create or modify design documentation as defined by team development standards, processes, and tools. * Ensure the solution designed and built is supportable as part of a DevOps model * Assist in creating documents that ensure consistency in development across Cargill.
Development and Testing:
* Configuration and development API proxies and services * Develop technical solutions utilizing API principles and cloud based technologies * Support testing by fixing defects and making necessary back end design changes, apply test driven development principles to automate build and regression testing * Ensure adherence development and architecture standards and best practices. * Provide necessary technical support through all phases of testing and incident handling after deployment. * Provide support for product solutions as part of a DevOps model * Assess and help drive adoption of new technologies and methods within the team and across Cargill. * Build prototype to prove out concepts * Experience in working with tools such as Sonar, Corbetura, Junit * Contribute ideas and/or code that improves core software infrastructure, patterns and standards * Contribute in code reviews
* Miscellaneous duties as assigned
Education, Experience, Skills
Required Qualifications * Bachelor’s Degree in MIS, Computer Science, Business or related field * 6 years of IT and business/industry work experience developing APIs or software applications including: analysis, design, coding, testing, deploying and supporting of applications * 3 years of experience working with API gateways, REST based micro services * 2 years experience in SQL Scripting * 1 years applied experience and skills with message or event based platforms: Tibco, IBM MQ, or Kafka, etc. * 6 years applied experience with Java/J2EE, SpringBoot, Hibernate, SpringData * 2 year experience with development using GitHub, TSVS or TFS * 2 year experience with Agile methodology * Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build trust and strong relationships * Result orientation and ability to work in ambiguous situations where requirements are not clear, specifications not in detail etc. * Strong conceptual strength, strategic thinking, problem solving, technical, and analytical skills. * Demonstrated application of strong market awareness and customer focus. * Ability to ask next level questions anticipating business inquiries and performing root cause analysis * Strong understanding of the domain modeling and implementing data related services * Implementation experience working with API Gateway such as CA Layer 7 and Kong API Gateway * Strong understanding of the micro services architecture principles * Experience in integrating systems using message oriented middleware * Experience in container based service deployments using technologies such as Docker, Kubernates
* Applied experience in Apiary, Kong, Layer 7 API management products * Applied experience and skills with API Development * Applied experience with Cloud platforms including AWS and/or Azure * Experience working with various types of data sources such as SAP, JDE, legacy ERP systems * Understanding trading and risk management concepts
Other relevant information to the position
* Senior API Engineer, has an opportunity to get promoted internally as per business requirements.
* Work on Complex/Advanced API Engineering Solution * Relationship Management with internal team
At Cargill, everyone matters and everyone counts. Cargill is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. As such and in alignment with our Guiding Principles, Cargill’s long-standing equal employment opportunity policy prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, family status, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, union affiliation, or any other status protected by law.
Cargill also complies with all applicable national and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination and employment.
U.S. Employment Resources: Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
How to request a reasonable accommodation
Read about Federal equal employment opportunity laws (PDF) and the supplement (PDF).
Pay Transparency (PDF)
Canada Employment Resources: Cargill is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing accommodation to our job applicants with disabilities.
How to request a reasonable accommodation