Sodium, a key component of salt, is an essential nutrient that our bodies need to function properly, but for some people, too much sodium can contribute to hypertension (high blood pressure), a risk factor for heart disease and other health conditions.
Many governments have developed national recommendations for sodium intake and taken measures to reduce sodium in the food supply. The World Health Organization and the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization recommend sodium intake not to exceed 2,000 mg/day. Cargill is a leader in food companies’ efforts to lower the sodium content in packaged and prepared foods. We offer a broad range of expertise and ingredients to customers working to reduce sodium in their products.
- Cargill recognizes that many people around the world consume more sodium than is currently recommended and are looking for ways to reduce their salt intake.
- While there is strong evidence supporting the benefits of a lower sodium diet for individuals with hypertension or pre-hypertension, Cargill encourages additional research to determine the right amount of sodium for healthy people. Recent studies suggest that lower-sodium diets could, in fact, increase health risks for certain individuals.
- Many different strategies can help people reduce sodium. While decisions about what to eat are made by individuals, many factors can influence them, including actions by governments and food companies.
- Because most of the sodium people consume comes from salt in foods prepared by others, Cargill believes food companies can play a role in helping individuals consume the right amount of sodium.
- Cargill works closely with food manufacturers to optimize the amount of sodium in their products. Sodium reduction is a complex task because salt plays a variety of functional roles in foods and beverages, such as providing taste and texture, and it serves as a natural preservative. In many cases, products can be made with less sodium, but that often means the whole product has to be reformulated.
Cargill has taken a leadership role in understanding the science and implications of sodium reduction and is committed to helping food manufacturers reduce the sodium content of their products.
- We invest in research to develop alternative ingredients and processing solutions.
- Our portfolio includes a full line of standard and specialty salts and ingredients to produce foods with lower sodium. Cargill products, such as SaltWise™, Alberger® Brand Flake Salts and Premier™ and FlakeSelect® Brand Potassium Chloride, help manufactures lower their products’ sodium content without sacrificing taste.
- Our customers collaborate with the 2,000 research and development scientists we employ at Cargill Innovation Centers on every continent.
- We engage in an ongoing dialogue with key stakeholders, such as governments, NGOs, trade groups and academia, and help our customers navigate the evolving science and changing regulatory environment.