Supporting relief efforts in Ukraine and Eastern Europe
Cargill is increasing support for humanitarian efforts in Ukraine, at borders and in neighboring countries.
March 30, 2022
The people of Ukraine are living an unthinkable and horrifying reality. Since their country was invaded, many have lost their lives, their families, their homes — everything.
Our first priority has been to ensure the safety of our employees. We also are increasing support of our Ukrainian colleagues and humanitarian efforts in the region. We have committed to contributing any profits from our essential activities to humanitarian aid. Given the uncertainty, we have set a minimum donation amount of $40 million, which will be directed to the following partners as well as local relief organizations supported by our employee-led Cargill Cares Councils in Ukraine, at borders and in neighboring countries:
- The World Food Programme is working in partnership with the Ukrainian government to support critical food relief and logistics to enable safe passage for people and supplies between Ukraine and neighboring countries.
- World Central Kitchen immediately began serving hot, nourishing meals at a 24-hour pedestrian border crossing in southern Poland and is now expanding efforts to serve accommodation centers in the country as well as in Romania and other locations supporting refugees.
- Red Cross is funding urgent humanitarian response efforts including food, water, medicines and shelter in Ukraine.
- Save the Children is procuring basic supplies and winter and hygiene kits to support displaced children and families.
- The European Food Banks Federation is providing support to food banks in Ukraine, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania and Slovakia to grow their capacity to serve refugees.
- CARE is working with local partners, including People in Need, to provide food, water, hygiene kits, psychosocial support and cash assistance — prioritizing women, girls and families.
In addition, Cargill is matching employee donations and has activated our Employee Disaster Relief Fund to support our colleagues. Our employee-led Cargill Cares Councils also are working with local partners in neighboring countries to support relief efforts for refugees.
For the latest information on our operations in Eastern Europe, read our most recent statement.