Cargill ground beef recall
We know that the food you put on your table is of the utmost importance to you. That’s why producing safe food every time everywhere is fundamental to Cargill.
On July 22, 2012, Cargill announced a voluntary recall of about 29,300 pounds of 85-percent-lean ground beef produced May 25, 2012, in Wyalusing, Pa., because it may have contained Salmonella Enteritidis. Cargill initiated this recall as a result of information provided by federal health and regulatory agencies and our own investigation.
Though the ground beef was made by Cargill, it was packaged for sale by these stores in the Northeast U.S. in late May and early June.
- Hannaford Supermarkets in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New York and Vermont. Look for “use or sell-by” dates between May 29 and June 16.
- Country Market, 1226 Old Colchester Road, Oakdale, CT.
- Brackett’s Market, 185 Front St., Bath, CT
- Will’s Shop ’n Save, 22 North St., Dover-Foxcroft, CT
- Gray Shop ’n Save, 35 Portland Road, Gray, CT
- Pure Food Market, 31 College Hwy, Southampton, MA
- IGA, 49 Central St. Winchendon, MA
- Hunter’s Shop ’n Save, 60 Main St., Wolfeboro, NH
- IGA, 570 N. Main St., Brewster, NY
- IGA, 101 South St., Greenport, NY
- IGA, 54560 Main Road, Southold, NY
- Peck’s Market, 9 Lower Main St., Callicoon, NY
- Peck’s Market, 4897 State Route 52, Jeffersonville, NY
- Hurley Ridge Market, 295 State Route 375, West Hurley, NY
- Wilson’s Lakeside Market, 337 Lake St., Wilson, NY
- G-Mart, 2930 State Route 209, Wurtsboro, NY
- IGA, 201 Front St., Elmer, NJ
- IGA, 205 Main St., Ridgefield Park, NJ
- Town Market, 1275 Hornberger Ave., Roebling, NJ
- IGA, 52 Welwood Ave., Hawley, PA
Consumers are urged to return any opened or unopened packages of recalled ground beef to the store where they bought it for a full refund.
For more information, consumers can call Cargill’s toll-free hotline at 1-888-812-1646 or visit these resources:
- Frequently asked questions about the ground beef recall and Salmonella Enteritidis
- Safe handling and cooking of ground beef
- Read the press release
- The USDA’s recall site