Frequently Asked Questions - Ice Melters

How do I know which ice melter product is best to use?

Start with the outside temperature. Rock salt, such as Diamond Crystal® Winter Melt® is great for melting ice at moderately cold temperatures (works down to 5°F). When the temperature falls below that, you should consider products such as Jiffy Melt® (works down to -5°F) or Flash Melt® (works down to -25°F). Other factors include activation speed, ease of handling and application, and desired features.

Back to top

Do I really need the package instructions?

Yes. Proper application is important for the optimal performance and safety of any ice melting product. More product does not necessarily mean better performance.

Back to top

What if my pet eats some Diamond Crystal ice melter?

Diamond Crystal® ice melters are not produced under food grade conditions and therefore are not intended for human or animal consumption. However, two main ingredients in our most popular ice melters (Diamond Crystal® Winter Melt® and Jiffy Melt®) have low toxicity if inadvertently ingested in small amounts. Both have a Material Safety Data Sheet hazard rating of 1 on a scale of 0-4 (where 0 is considered “minimal hazard—no significant risk to health” and 1 is “slight hazard—irritation or minor reversible injury possible”). If ingestion occurs, make sure your pet has water available to drink, which is usually all that’s needed. Ingesting large amounts, however, can result in gastrointestinal irritation. If your pet shows signs of distress, contact your veterinarian. Always store any ice melter out of reach of children and pets. (Refer to Diamond Crystal ice melter Material Safety Data Sheets for more information).

Back to top

Will my pet be harmed if it walks where an ice melter has been applied?

Generally, no. If an animal picks up too much ice melter material in its paws, it may experience some irritation--especially if it has dry, cracked skin--so it’s advisable to brush or wash off encrusted product residue. Also, since ice melters lower the water temperature, the mix of melting snow, ice and ice melters can be uncomfortably cold to an animal’s feet. To help protect your pet, follow application instructions by clearing the snow and ice from pavement once it’s melted, and/or covering paws with pet booties to avoid possible frostbite.

Back to top

How does Flash Melt differ from other Diamond Crystal ice melters?

Diamond Crysta® Flash Melt® is composed of calcium chloride, which melts ice down to -25#176;F. It is exothermic, which means it gives off heat as it works, accelerating melting. Because of that, it is important to brush or wash off ice melter residue from your pet’s paws and coat to avoid possible skin and mouth irritation or burn. Calcium chloride is low in toxicity, but if ingested in small amounts, make water available, and contact your veterinarian if your pet shows signs of distress. As with other ice melters, store out of reach of children and pets. (Refer to Diamond Crystal ice melter Material Safety Data Sheets for more information).

Back to top

What else can I do to minimize winter risk and discomfort to my pet?

Practice good grooming of your pet, such as trimming excess hair from footpads and toes to reduce ice, snow and salt accumulation and make cleaning easier. Keep pets away from treated surfaces until snow, ice and ice melters have been cleared away. Doing so promptly will also prevent re-freezing. If your pet gets wet, dry its coat, and especially its paws, to prevent cracking.

Back to top

What if my child eats some Diamond Crystal ice melter?

Diamond Crystal ice melters are not intended for human or animal consumption. If a few grams of ice melter are accidentally ingested, drinking water is usually all that is needed. Ingesting large amounts can result in gastrointestinal irritation. If your child shows signs of discomfort, contact your doctor. Always store ice melters out of reach of children and pets. (Refer to Diamond Crystal ice melter Material Safety Data Sheets for more information).

Back to top

Will ice melters damage my grass and shrubs?

Because ice melters transform snow and ice into liquid, there is run-off. Too high a rate of application results in excess run-off from the driveway or sidewalk surface area, which is the most common cause of injury to bordering lawn or vegetation. Soil type, vegetation species and climate are also factors in runoff effect. Published university field tests indicate there may be slight differences between the tendency of the common deicing chemicals to harm grass, but excessive application with any of them will harm vegetation. To reduce risk of this damage, apply Diamond Crystal ice melters according to package instructions and promptly remove snow, ice and slush from the sidewalk or driveway surface after application.

Back to top

Will Diamond Crystal ice melters damage my concrete?

Poured concrete needs time to cure and seal, so do not apply ice melters to first-year concrete. Do not use on porous or improperly cured concrete, precast concrete items, masonry, mortar, wood or other porous materials. Use only on properly placed, cured and sealed, air-entrained concrete. To reduce risk of damage, apply Diamond Crystal ice melters according to package instructions. You may also apply a quality water-repelling sealant to the surface prior to winter. Finally, promptly remove snow, ice and slush that develops on the concrete after any ice melter application.

Back to top

Will Diamond Crystal ice melters hurt my carpeting or wood floor?

With proper application and ice removal, ice melter should leave little film or residue. Any extra residue carried in from people’s boots and shoes should be either sponged up with water before it dries or vacuumed promptly once dry.

Back to top

Can I use ice melters on my deck?

Prior to using any ice melter, you should contact the manufacturer of your decking or sidewalk materials for its recommendation. We do not recommend using ice melters on wood decks, brick sidewalks, patios or the relatively new, non-wood decking material.

Back to top

Can Diamond Crystal deicing salt be used on roofs to remove ice dams?

For obvious safety reasons, we recommend you do not use Diamond Crystal ice melters for ice dam removal from roofs. The best solution is to consult a roof expert to prevent heat loss and ice dams from developing. Because there are a variety of ice removal options and roofing materials, you should consult your homeowners insurance or a professional roofer to determine the best method of removal for your type of roof.

Back to top

Where can I find more technical safety information about Diamond Crystal ice melter products?

One source for more technical product safety information is material safety data sheets (MSDS), which Diamond Crystal maintains for each of its ice melter products.  MSDS sheets can be found on the product detail pages.

Back to top

.