Cargill Mexico supports most vulnerable communities to the COVID-19 pandemic
• Working with Mexican Red Cross, Gastromotiva Mexico, local food banks and Todos Juntos contra COVID-19, Cargill Mexico is providing support to states and communities in greatest need.
Mexico City, May 5, 2020. Cargill provides an essential service to the world, providing the ingredients, feed and food that nourish people and animals. During this unprecedented time, Cargill is working around the clock with farmers and our customers (the nation’s food retailers, service providers and restaurant chains) to nourish the world safely and responsibly. Cargill is working differently, but the values that have enabled Cargill to meet previous global challenges remain unchanged. Cargill’s commitment to doing the right thing, putting people first and reaching higher will continue to guide every decision made.
These values extend beyond business operations, to the communities where Cargill’s employees live and work. As COVID-19 continues to spread across the globe, Cargill’s teams are working with nonprofit partners to support local foodbanks and develop emergency plans to address food insecurity and nutritional needs for vulnerable children and families.
Cargill is inspired by the contributions of medical professionals, first responders, workers, and farmers in our communities whose selfless efforts are helping ensure that people and animals around the world are cared for and their essential needs are met.
Through Caring Foods, Gastromotiva Mexico serves 10,000 meals over two months to hospitals in Mexico City partnering with smallholder farmers. 60% of meals go to doctors and nurses who care for patients with COVID-19 at the Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias or Instituto Nacional de Nutrición. The remaining 40% of meals go to relatives of patients at Centro Médico Siglo XXI. Cargill sponsors two months of meals.
As part of the global donation from Cargill to Global Food Banking Network, Mexico received a grant of USD 30,000, providing 26 tons of food, equivalent to 87,400 meals servings in 300g portions.
Additionally, the teams are working with Mexican Red Cross in the states where Cargill operates and in the communities with the greatest needs. Cargill will equip hospitals and ambulances with Personal Protestive Equipment (PPE) for its medical teams working in alternative health care facilities managed by Secretary of Defense and Secretary of the Navy. A percentage of Cargill’s donation will be allocated to the operation of their main hospital which will function as a temporary shelter for the medical community to reduce spreading of the virus and reduce risks of violence against them.
Todos Junto contra COVID-19 (“All together against COVID-19”) is a collaboration of 16 companies and foundations sponsoring a project to establish a temporary hospital at the largest exhibition center in Mexico City. Cargill Mexico has contributed MXP 1,000,000 (40,000 USD) to this project, some of its customers are sponsors as well.
These actions are in addition to the help and recovery efforts that we, as a global company, are developing around the world. Cargill’s 160,000 employees in 70 countries offer our thanks and continued support.
Oscar Mendoza. Telephone: (+52 55) 8020 0497, [email protected]
Cargill’s 155,000 employees across 70 countries work relentlessly to achieve our purpose of nourishing the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Every day, we connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive. We combine 155 years of experience with new technologies and insights to serve as a trusted partner for food, agriculture, financial and industrial customers in more than 125 countries. Side-by-side, we are building a stronger, sustainable future for agriculture. For more information, visit Cargill.com and our News Center.
About Cargill Mexico
Cargill Mexico aims to contribute in improving agricultural productivity, satisfying and fulfilling the expectations of the domestic industry. In addition to adding value to human and animal nutrition and thus encourage economic development, Cargill Mexico reinvests its profits in several new businesses in the country. Cargill has 9 business units that have operations in Mexico, it employs more than 1,750 people in 13 states and has a total of 30 facilities, including a corporate office in Mexico City. For more information, visit Cargill.com.mx, and our News Center.