Rejuvenation of aged bitumen: Increasing RAP and RAS content while maintaining performance
Pavements continually oxidize and age during their performance life, leading to durability issues as a result of increased stiffness and brittleness and lower ability to relax stress. Increasing the usage of recycled asphalt material from pavements or roofing shingles reverses the impact of aging on the asphalt’s rheological and damage properties.
These products are excellent tools for a wide range of pavement types and pavement preservation applications:
- High RAP and RAS mixtures with up to 100% RAP, while reducing construction temperatures
- Rejuvenating asphalt emulsions for surface seals and cold in place recycling
- Oils and emulsified oils for hot in place recycling and surface rejuvenating applications
Anova rejuvenators have demonstrated desirable impact on asphalt pavements containing highly aged RAP and RAS binder (reclaimed asphalt pavement and shingles) in documented results in the laboratory and in the field.
- Successfully used in pavements with up to 100% RAP usage
- In addition to shifting the PG grade of virgin bitumen, Anova modifiers also rejuvenate RAP and RAS restoring properties of the aged bitumen, allowing for more versatility in mix designs
- Has been shown to reduce required compaction temperature by as much as 20C in high RAP pavements
- Does not negatively impact rutting resistance of rejuvenated RAP mixture
- Enhances low temperature cracking resistance of asphalt mixture, even at high RAP content
- High flash point (in excess of 240°C/460°F) compared to petroleum-based bitumen rejuvenators, allowing safer handling without changing current processes
- Low VOCs and low volatile mass loss (as measured by the Rolling Thin Film Oven)
- Access to technical support and formulation services through state of the art asphalt application laboratory and industry expertise
The products and services described on this website may not be available in all jurisdictions or to all persons.