Corrugating glue systems
Our comprehensive range of starches for the corrugating industry is based on maize, wheat and potato as raw materials and covers native and modified starches, additives and enhancers to improve the performance of common corrugating adhesive types.
Stein hall adhesives
The Stein Hall glue preparation system provides simplicity at low cost, along with excellent gluing for many different paper types.
In this adhesive, 10% to 20% of the total starch content is gelatinized into a high viscosity paste called primary starch. The remainder of the starch (80% to 90%) stays ungelatinized and is called secondary starch.
Neither the primary nor the secondary starch alone have satisfactory adhesive property for gluing – taken together, however, they form an excellent corrugating adhesive. Due to the presence of fully gelatinized carrier starch, and the resulting high water retention capacity, Stein Hall glues are particularly recommended for use with very absorbent paper.
As its ‘No-Carrier’ name suggests, this adhesive does not have a fully gelatinized carrier portion, but all the starch is slightly swollen. This results in lower water retention capacity and can be an advantage for papers that are difficult to penetrate, since the first water release, together with the relatively high pH, helps in opening the paper.
Having a low (or no) quantity of fully gelatinized starch granules means that 100% of the starch is active at peak viscosity, giving a maximum wet-tack. These combined features provide good glue-ability, high-bond strength, high machine speeds, shear stability and low waste.
No-Carrier adhesives are very sensitive to swelling, allowing for quick gelatinization when heated. The shorter texture helps keep the corrugator cleaner and guarantees optimal glue pick-up by the flute tips, as well as ensuring low adhesive consumption.
Using Cargill specialty starches, the solids content of your No-Carrier adhesive can be significantly increased, enabling a major increase in machine speed.
These adhesives demonstrate versatility by combining superior glue performance with easy, automated glue production. Compared with traditional adhesives, their texture and specific rheological profile contribute to a better and more even application of adhesive to the glue roll at low speeds.
At high production speeds, the short, non-elastic texture of Minocar (and No-Carrier) adhesives allows precise application on the flute tips without splashing into the valleys. This results in even and consistent adhesive add-on, less dirt, minimal glue consumption and fewer problems with delamination and warp. Minocar adhesives are highly stable and exhibit good flow properties, giving high performance for a range of machine speeds with all types of paper.
The products and services described on this website may not be available in all jurisdictions or to all persons.