Maltodextrins are obtained by the partial hydrolysis of starch whereby the basic polymeric structure is retained. Products with different dextrose equivalent values (DE) are offered. Maltodextrins are water soluble, non-sweet products that are supplied as spray-dried powders.
Maltodextrins are used as diluents in single unit dosage preparations such as sachets. Because of their inherent polymeric nature, maltodextrins also make excellent binders for direct compression.
- Carbohydrate source
- Coating agent
Solid dosage forms
- Excellent binder/diluent in direct compression and wet and dry granulation
- Diluent in capsule and powder formulations
Liquid dosage formulations
- Viscosity increasing agent and crystallization inhibitor in liquid formulations
- Carrier for spray-drying of active substances
- Carbohydrate source in oral nutritional supplements