Partnership & Collaboration
Advancing animal welfare and safety through collaboration and certification
We collaborate with others across the poultry industry to promote best practices, improve sustainability and advance food safety.
Cargill is a founding member of the Coalition for Sustainable Egg Supply, a multi-stakeholder group that commissioned first-of-its-kind, commercial-scale research to evaluate different options for hen housing, including the potential impacts on hen health and well-being, the environment, food safety, worker health and safety, and food affordability. Consumers increasingly want to know more about how and where their food is produced, and we are helping our customers evaluate and plan for transitions to alternative poultry housing systems. We respect customer and consumer choices and apply our supply chain expertise to meet evolving preferences.
Certification and verification
Our Shady Brook Farms and Honeysuckle White turkey products have been USDA Process Verified Program since 2014. Our product packaging displays the USDA Process Verified seal indicating the products are made from turkeys raised:
- With no antibiotics used for growth promotion (antibiotics only used for treatment and prevention of illness)
- By independent farmers
- By producers trained on animal handling practices
- Learn more about our commitment to reduce antibiotic use.
We work with farmer partners and others to implement best practices that promote animal health and handling of animals with care and dignity. Learn more about our commitment to animal welfare. Our certifications include:
- Our turkey business in the United States educates employees, truck drivers and first responders on animal handling in emergencies. We are the only turkey producer in the U.S. to educate and certify all of our contract growers on how to properly handle birds to ensure animal welfare. Our Certified Animal Handler program and on-farm audit program have been endorsed by Dr. Michael Hulet, animal science expert at Penn State University.
- Our European poultry supply chain has achieved 100 percent accreditation under the Red Tractor or equivalent food assurance schemes for high standards of animal welfare, food safety and hygiene.
- In the U.K., Oxford University certifies Cargill employees as Poultry Welfare Officers.
We have Professional Animal Auditor Certification Organization (PAACO)-certified auditors at each of our processing facilities.
Cargill is a leader in food safety and we share our knowledge across the industry. We develop innovative approaches and explore new technologies to reduce any foodborne illness-causing bacteria that could pose human health risks. Learn more about how we use the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) model in our facilities and our companywide commitment to food safety.
Poultry nutrition & feed
Learn about how Cargill’s animal nutrition business combines nutrient analysis and research to produce feed that promotes better health.
Animal Welfare Policy
Learn more about how we ensure the well-being of animals in our care.More
Cargill in Action newsletter
Updates about Cargill's sustainability efforts delivered to your inbox.