Aquaculture Partnerships & Collaboration
Promoting aquaculture best practices
We collaborate with others across the aquaculture industry to promote best practices and improve sustainability.
Partnership and collaboration
Cargill works with industry associations, nongovernmental organizations and researchers to share innovative approaches and raise sustainability standards across the aquaculture industry, including.
- Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC)
- Global Aquaculture Alliance (GAA)
- Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP)
- IFFO Marine Ingredients Organization (formerly the International Fishmeal and Fish oil Organization)
Certification and accreditation
We attain and maintain certification and accreditation by internationally recognized fish and seafood farming and feed production standards, including:
- Global G.A.P. (Good Agricultural Practice)
- Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) certification: Cargill’s feed mills and Honduras and Nicaragua achieved BAP Certification in 2015 – the first in the region – and now offer four-star, BAP-certified shrimp and tilapia feed to customers across Central America.
- Global Salmon Initiative (GSI)
- The Round Table on Responsible Soy (RTRS). Our salmon business sources soy products, primarily from Brazil, that are certified to ProTerra, RTRS or equivalent standards. We use soy products from other countries are proven to be responsibly sourced, including from suppliers with development programs in place to achieve credible third-party certification.
We require that marine raw materials come from fisheries adhering to FAO’s Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, that they be non- IUU (illegal, unreported and unregulated), and that the fish species and country of fishing area is registered. We give preferential status to raw material produced according to the IFFO Responsible Supply (RS) Assured and Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) standard and suppliers supplying “Fish Source Score” data.
We are committed to sourcing terrestrial and marine raw material to meet the needs of customers certified to various performance standards, such as ASC, GlobalGap, Universal Feed Assurance Scheme (UFAS) and BAP.
Aquaculture nutrition solutions
We provide sustainable solutions for farmers of salmon, tilapia, shrimp, carp, catfish and other species of fish and seafood.