The Cargill Beauty Sustainable Ingredient Score
Enabling easier sustainable personal care ingredient choices
The Sustainable Ingredient Score is a scoring system for our personal care ingredients, resulting in a final score, which indicates how sustainable an ingredient is. This third-party verified scoring system is based around criteria that are in line with the UN’s SDGs. It brings clarity to personal care manufacturers on the sustainability credentials of our ingredients by assessing their sourcing, transformation, and environmental impact.
This global sustainable scoring system for cosmetic ingredients is based on three pillars: clean sourcing, clean transformation and environmental impact. Each pillar is equally weighted (1/3 of total score of 100) towards the final rating: A (best performing)-E (lowest performing). Furthermore, each pillar is based on a total of 16 criteria to ultimately arrive at an ingredient’s sustainability score.
Pillar 1: Clean sourcing
Value chain transparency
We are committed to having knowledge of feedstock mapping for our innovations.
We are committed to using sustainable feedstock for our innovations.
- Sourcing traceability and process will be shared in detail with customer for our innovations.
Pillar 2: Clean transformation
Chemical transformation efficiency
- We are committed to having an atom economy or an E-factor ambition in the chemistry process of transformation.
- We are committed to having a natural content of at least 93% in our innovations.
Downstream risk on ingredient.
Our innovations will have no reputational risk and be free of all controversial materials.
Industrial social risk management
- We are committed to having social industrial audit certification from SEDEX/SMETA.
Pillar 3: Environmental impact
Low environmental footprint
We are committed to our ingredients being based on biodegradable/non-persistent materials.
We are committed to our ingredients being non bio-accumulative.
We are committed to our ingredients having no hazardous elements for the environment.
- We are committed to our ingredients having an easy usage with low energy.
- We are committed to not sourcing species that have an impact on any biodiversity law (Nagoya) or endangered species (CITES). This is in order to respect endangered species and genetic resources.
At Cargill Beauty, we are committed to ensuring that all our new ingredient launches meet the criteria for an A-rating. With this effort, we support personal care manufacturers to meet consumer demand by developing more sustainable products.
Get in touch
For more information send us an email at [email protected]