Culinary Innovation Center
Where art and science intersect to help nourish people
The Cargill Innovation Center in Wichita, Kansas is one of the world’s most advanced food innovation facilities. The center features research, development, culinary, laboratory, pilot plant and distribution capabilities.
Wide range of capabilities and staffing
The center features a wide range of capabilities and staffing, including full-service research and development and professional chefs who work with customers to develop new products and demonstrate how existing ones can be better prepared.
- Foodservice presentation room. This is a space for simulating a restaurant dining room with an adjoining patio, a full array of top-line equipment and a demonstration cooking island as well as outdoor grilling capabilities.
- USDA inspected pilot plane. An 11,000-square-foot processing facility for testing equipment and processes for use in meat plants, including a smoker, fryer, ready-to-eat product area and tenderness test area.
- Food safety labs. A fully equipped pathogen lab for development, testing and validation of food safety interventions.
- Product analytical lab. To produce greater product consistency and quality, this lab has a microbiology area, chemistry lab, and labs for consumer research and sensory testing, as well as focus group and taste panels capabilities.
- Retail presentation area. Equipped with a consumer kitchen and display areas to simulate a grocery store, convenience store or deli environments.
- Ingredients and seasoning room. This is a room from which a variety of seasonings and ingredients are mixed to create rubs, marinades and other flavorings for customers.
- Shelf life testing. Both walk-in and retail refrigeration units simulate shelf life of post-production products and how they are handled from meat processing facilities to consumer refrigerators.
Serving retail and food service customers
The 75,000-square-foot innovation center helps Cargill’s retail and food service customers grow their businesses by meeting the needs of domestic and international consumers who enjoy eating meat products. The center is located one block away from the headquarters of several Cargill businesses it supports, including beef, turkey and pork businesses as well as other Cargill food ingredient businesses.