- Learning the Field: How Digital Agricultural Tools Are Improving Farmer Welfare in Turkey
- Nourishing the Future by Building Resilient Agricultural Communities in Central America
- Helping the Houston community gain access to a balanced diet
- Cargill’s Fast Response to Small African Food Processors During COVID Helped Them
- Hatching new plans: How a survivor of gender-based violence launched a thriving poultry business
- Fueling the Minds of India’s Next Generation: The Importance of the Midday Meal
- Join Us
Red Seaweed Promise™ - leading the industry towards a thriving red seaweed sector for generations to come.
To help ensure a long-term sustainable red seaweed supply chain, Cargill has launched the Red Seaweed Promise™. The program is specifically designed to address key sustainability challenges for the harvesting and cultivation of red seaweed, while enhancing producer livelihoods, supporting local communities and conserving the marine environment. Red seaweed is the raw material needed to produce carrageenan, a texturizer used in various applications such as dairy, confectionary and personal care products.
The program also answers food industry and consumers’ needs for more sustainable food ingredients, with a commitment to source 60 percent sustainable red seaweed by 2025.
Sustainable Seaweed Commitment
It is our ambition to enable seaweed producers and their communities to achieve better incomes and living standards in a way that will accelerate progress towards a sustainable and transparent global seaweed supply chain by focusing our investments and efforts across four priority areas.
To reaffirm our long term commitment to red seaweed producers and their communities specific continuous improvement action plans are developed specifically matching the regions where Cargill sources.
The program is independently assessed and verified by Proforest - a world leader in supporting the sustainable management and sourcing of natural resources and smallholder development.
The Cargill supply chains assessed to date by Proforest have been rated as sustainable.