Partnering with farmers to increase productivity and strengthen rural communities
We help farmers improve their livelihoods by:
- Helping increase productivity and access to markets
- Promoting agricultural practices that support a more sustainable future
- Investing to strengthen agricultural communities
Better productivity and higher incomes
Farmers around the world are adopting better technology at an accelerated rate, helping them increase yields, protect soil conditions and maximize profitability so they can thrive. Around the world, farmers are using tools that increase planting efficiency and allow more precise application of crop inputs, such as fertilizer, thereby boosting yields while reducing waste and environmental impact.
Cargill is helping farmers at all levels of productivity to be equipped with the knowledge to improve yields sustainably, provide reliable markets for their crops and help them manage risk. These are all essential for these farmers to contribute more fully to helping achieve a more sustainable, food-secure future.
We support transparent, market-based pricing across all our supply chains so farmers know what to expect and can be sure they are getting a market price for the crops they grow and harvest and for the animals they raise. We also work with farmers to help them manage price risk and optimize returns.
We partner with farmers to advance entrepreneurial solutions. Farming is an uncertain business – markets fluctuate, weather disruptions can damage crops, a bountiful harvest or backlog of stored crops can bring down prices, etc. We help farmers prepare for those possibilities so they can withstand variations from one season to the next.
We have trained thousands of farmers around the world to use sustainable farming practices so they can increase yields and profitability. We help farmers grow crops and raise livestock in the most environmentally responsible ways while improving their productivity and conserving resources. Doing more with less – increasing productivity on the same amount of land over time – is critical to achieving food security.
We have established farmer field schools that teach thousands of smallholder farmers agricultural best practices, provide them access to inputs – such as seed and fertilizer – and assist them in forming cooperative organizations to build their collective capacity and strengthen their communities.
Farmers need reliable markets where they can sell their crops each season. We help farmers build sustainable supply chains and access markets. For example, In Nicaragua, we partner with TechnoServe to help sorghum growers improve their productivity and competitiveness through a program that provides technical assistance, hybrid seed development, market access and financial backing. We provide vital market linkages across all supply chains.
Strengthening agricultural communities
We believe in empowering communities to help them become more resilient. We work to improve the quality of life in communities where we operate. Our investments and actions include:
- Nutrition and health: Cargill has contributed nearly $50 million since 2008 to support programs and organizations that improve the nutrition and health of people living in our communities. Across Central America, for example, we support school programs in our key agricultural communities to improve nutrition and rural health. A regional initiative called “Back to School with Cargill” trains students, teachers and parents on nutrition and food security.
- Education: We help improve access to quality education in the agricultural communities we work in. In Ghana, for example, we partner with CARE to increase primary school enrollment rates and in Vietnam, Cargill is on track to build 25 more schools across rural Vietnam by 2020 after having fulfilled its initial goal of building 75 schools by 2015.
- Gender equality: We promote gender equality. For example, to address the gender gap in the palm industry, Cargill has developed programs at our plantations in Indonesia that help both women employees and community members pursue career and economic advancement. We also offer employee programs on women’s nutrition, reproductive health and other family health information.