House of Chocolate
FROM BEAN TO BAR
New “House of Chocolate” to support all-in-one product development
Cargill will open its state-of-the-art House of Chocolate in Mouscron, Belgium in 2021/22, adjacent to our main chocolate production facility. It will be the perfect home for inimitable chocolate experiences with our Cargill, Veliche Gourmet™, Smet and Vanova® brands. The US$21 million center is an integral part of our long-term “Journey to Joy 2022” vision to become the trusted solution provider for chocolate. It will serve our broad customer portfolio, including our gourmet chocolate network and industrial partners.
Three functions under one roof
The House of Chocolate will comprise an inspirational high-tech chocolate experience center, an adjacent pilot plant, a sensory lab and additional creative workspace for the European technical service team:
- Chocolate Experience Center: Bundles our cocoa & chocolate expertise to inspire, innovate and educate customers and partners. The platform for co-creation to improve customer’ product decisions, and increase speed to market for both gourmet and large-scale applications.
- Pilot Plant: Replicates real production conditions on a small scale and easily produce samples for testing and trial before going into large-scale manufacturing. Makes batch manufacturing possible for anything from 5kg to 1 ton cycles.
- Sensory Lab: Home to Cargill’s largest European cocoa and chocolate, world class sensory center. Outfitted with state-of-the-art high-tech equipment, it allows for a wide range of sensory testing on anything from chocolate, coatings and fillings, to ice cream or biscuits.
Cargill’s Recent Mouscron Milestones
The House of Chocolate in a nutshell
- All-in-one experience and development process; from inspiration through to innovation and training, and finally production.
- Leverages the co-creation model with an end-to-end process on a unified platform, to deliver high efficiency and greater speed to market.
- Bean-to-bar experience that delivers expertise at every stage; from the origination of cocoa to branded gourmet chocolate.
- Built alongside our production site in Mouscron with the flexibility to meet current and future market needs, including sugar reduced, hazelnut, organic, and much more.
- Clear end-to-end concept from the latest creations from our gourmet chefs, to manufacturing solutions in accordance with consumer trends.
- The kitchens will accommodate host trials and tastings, so our customers and partners can explore all possibilities under the guidance of our chefs and expert teams.
- Small quantity samples can be produced at the adjacent pilot plant, replicating the manufacturing conditions of industrial lines, before going into large scale production.
- Customers can interact and co-create alongside our chocolate engineers in an optimal setting to explore the multiple dimensions of cocoa and chocolate manufacturing.
- Close proximity to our Vilvoorde Global Innovation Center for food ingredients, will allow customers to take advantage of our expertise across applications.
- Will incorporate cutting-edge technology to reduce the site’s ecological footprint, including the use of geothermal energy to significantly reduce energy consumption.