- Cargill Expands Bio-Based Presence Around the Globe
- Connect with us at the Greener Manufacturing Show
- Product Finder
Agri-Pure® Lauric Oils
Regional availability: Europe, Middle East, Africa
The term lauric oils refers to those oils containing a high proportion of lauric acid, a C12 saturated fatty acid. The most important lauric oils are coconut and palm kernel oil. The presence of the C12 fatty chains (and a substantial amount of C8 and C10 chains also) is unique to these oils, and gives them special properties and characteristics. In particular, they are important raw materials for surfactants (surface-active agents) and soaps, used in many household detergent, cleaning and personal care products. Lauric oils are also used in lubricant applications, such as rolling oils and metal-working fluids, where their excellent thermal and oxidative stability, as well as low volatility, is valued.
Lauric oils can be hydrogenated to further enhance their stability and colour; this is particularly useful in the production of mild surfactants such as betaines and alkanolamides, which are used extensively in shampoos, hand soaps and shower gels. Hydrogenated lauric oils are also used in the preparation of soft vegetable waxes and butters for skin cosmetics, candles and other wax applications.
- Agri-pure® AP-20 is fully refined coconut oil containing approximately 47% of lauric acid and 14% of mid-chain (C8 and C10) fatty acids.
- Agri-pure® AP-620 is fully refined hydrogenated coconut oil. Hydrogenation enhances the stability and colour of the oil, and increases its melting point to ~32°C.
- Agri-pure® AP-15 is fully refined palm kernel oil containing approximately 47% of lauric acid and 6% of mid-chain (C8 and C10) fatty acids.
- Agri-pure® AP-615 is fully refined hydrogenated palm kernel oil. Hydrogenation enhances the stability and colour of the oil, and increases its melting point to ~40°C.
Cargill can offer pre-blends of these lauric oils with liquid oils or fats, such as for soap bar production. Learn more about our blended products.
The products and services described on this website may not be available in all jurisdictions or to all persons.