Dispersants are used in various stages of the lithium-ion battery manufacturing process to optimize the viscosity of processing slurries, making it easier to handle and speed up processing time, and to increase the distribution of conductive carbon in electrodes. This leads to improved capacity retention and electro-chemical stability.
As experts in chemical synthesis, we have developed Electrosperse™ 4000, a polymeric amide dispersant designed to form concentrated carbon dispersions (slurries) in NMP (N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone), the industry standard solvent used to manufacture battery electrodes. Electrosperse™ 4000 improves the distribution uniformity of conductive carbon particles in electrodes. This enhances capacity retntion at high charge-discharge rates.
- Has excellent viscosity in dispersions of many commercially available battery grade conductive carbons
- Produces slurries with long term stability
- Creates slurries with reduced NMP usage without affecting viscosity - reducing cost and solvent use
- Has improved cell capacity retention at high charge-discharge rates, effective in a range of cathode materials, especially in a combination with litium cobalt oxide (LCO) and NMC622 (a nickel-rich manganese cobalt cathode material)
- Is non-hygroscopic for easier processing, handling and storage
Electrosperse™ 4000 is an effective carbon black dispersant for cathode slurries exhibiting:
- Viscosity reduction of the cathode slurry for easier processing
- Capacity retention at high C-rates for both charging and discharging events
- Lowered cell resistance vs cells containing no dispersant or PVP
- Improved electro-chemical stability vs PVP, especially at high voltages
Discover products for batteries
A polymeric amide dispersant designed to form stable solvent-based carbon dispersions used in battery manufacturing.