Driveline and Transmission for EV
We manufacture Group V ester base oils for low wear, oxidatively stable lubricant formulations and are developing base oils for the next generation of electric vehicles.
Our ester-based fluids are ideal for formulating motor, e-axle and gearbox fluids and lubricants for electric vehicles. Unlike traditional base fluids for automatic transmission oils, our esters have been specifically engineered for the requirements of electric and hybrid vehicles. Our chemistries are tunable to your exact needs - get the best out of your future drivetrains by collaborating with us to develop fluids for your next generation drivetrains. Our esters offer:
- Outstanding traction performance - improve drivetrain efficiency
- Low electrical conductivity - allows charge to dissipate to reduce the risk of arcing & damage
- Up to 95% improvement in oxidation stability for fill-for-life application vs group III and group IV base oils
Standard automatic transmission fluids (ATFs) are not optimized for electric vehicles, and further development of fluids is needed to meet the requirements of electrified vehicles drivetrains. Lubricant standards are still being developed for electric vehicles and there are many competing technologies and designs for their drivetrains.
As interest in total immersion cooling grows, there is an increasing desire for fluids that can be used across the battery, motor and transmission - requiring fluids with low electrical conductivity, low viscosity, and good thermal heat transfer properties.
Alternative fluids, such as liquid perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) are cooling materials, but they have some significant environmental problems. For example, PFCs are volatile at moderate temperatures and have a significant global warming potential depending on the exact boiling point. Further to this, they are non-biodegradable and can be problematic if accidentally released into the environment.
How can we help you formulate dielectric fluids?
We have decades of experience in the formulation of ester chemistries and we are actively developing new products for use as dielectric cooling fluids. We are leaders in friction modification and ester base oils, our experience of both allows us to help you formulate your next generation of coolants and transmission fluids.
We are developing products in two main categories:
- Very low viscosity Group V ester base oils, offering a very low coefficient of traction when formulated into Group III, IV or V base oils, suitable for formulating next-generation gearbox and e-axle lubricants.
- Perfad 7-series: unique traction reducing co-base fluids which reduce traction and wear in a group III, IV or V-based formulations while thickening and increasing viscosity index. These fluids are suitable for replacing PAO 100 and standard high viscosity esters.
We are actively researching these areas and have exciting products in development. If you would like to work with us, to create an ester base fluid for your electric vehicle, then please contact us.